Friday, September 28, 2007

Going, Going, Gone! Goddess of all Salad Dressings

I have been in love for about eight years now, and I would like to share the love of my life with you. So tell your Greek Vinaigrette not to let the refrigerator door hit him in the behind because here comes a new flavour that is about to spruce up your life and your salads!

At the age of thirteen a best friend of mine introduced me to the epitome of all salad dressings and I have been faithful ever since! We ate extremely well even as kids and I remember one of our routine sleepovers like it was yesterday, when we were quite eager for our midnight snack! We were definitely not going to pull any ordinary treats from the pantry, and luckily we came across her mother's infamous salad dressing in the fridge. Props to her mom for the recipe, because I have not eaten salad the same since. That night in fact, we literally filled an extra large baking bowl full of salad. Our eyes were definitely bigger than our appetites, because even though we allowed ourselves to eat enough for a family of five, we just could not do it for a party of twelve. At the time, I wish we had someone to pass what was still left of the heaping-full bowl of salad over to, and today I am glad to say I do, recipe and all!

The Recipe

Ingredients:
¾ cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dry mustard

Simply enough, mix together. Now that you have a batch made, you can store it in your refrigerator and use it at your own will.

I recommend adding the dressing to your choice of lettuce along with the following fixings:

radicchio
tomatoes
cucumbers
feta cheese
cran-raisins/dried cranberries
sunflower seeds
(purchase with shells removed)

Mmm mmm m this side just might overpower your mmmain course,

Haley

No comments: