Friday, September 21, 2007

How would you like your steak? Chicago-style

Chicago-style refers to a steak that is charred on the outside, to order on the inside. In other words, your steak is still cooked to your desired level, but is then quickly charred. And trust me, it makes all the difference.

Quick re-cap/how-to...
To order your steak Chicago-style when dining out, you would order your choice of steak followed by the style and to what degree you would like it cooked. For example: Chicago-medium, Chicago-rare, etc.

My first experience...
In Canada, a popular steak chain is The Keg Steakhouse & Bar, also with several locations in the United States. I was never a steak kind of girl and so my first experience was taking a bite of my dad's rib eye steak Chicago-medium rare from The Keg...big mistake. It was a big mistake because I had totally regretted ordering the prime rib that was now sitting in front of me (however, The Keg's prime rib is a specialty of theirs, that is an idea of how good their Chicago-style really is).

Now, it goes without saying that not every restaurant has the proper grill to pull off a Chicago-style steak, and even more, whether or not they have the proper grill may not be the issue. Not all restaurants/chefs can prepare a Chicago-style steak to perfection. I am obviously not confident enough to slap the recipe up on my blog myself.

So, it goes without saying that I find The Keg's quality to be superb. Moreover, their wine list and cocktails are great, on top of their food and service being first class. Although pricey, it is well worth it! If you enjoy steak then you should surely make Chicago-style your next treat, and if you do not particularly like steak, you will after this!

Loving The Keg's garlic mash and Caesar too,

Haley

1 comment:

Angie said...

MMM sounds good! When you gonna make this for dinner?

Though Cassie's "white" dish was quite tasty. haha!