Saturday, October 20, 2007

Bye Bye Banana Bread, Hello Banana Snack Cake

I baked my heart out at work this weekend. Everything from your classic brownies and chocolate truffles to lemon cheesecake squares and brandy snaps! I even fit in some no-bake nanaimo bars.

I work for a family owned and operated Italian catering and specialty food store, and in terms of our desserts we have an absolutely talented elderly lady who bakes the intricate Italian cookies right out of her basement, while at our kitchen, we usually stick to a binder of laminated all-around favourites that make the average customers happy. Every now and then, however, a new recipe may find its way in. And this is where the banana snack cake comes in, into the baking binder, into my heart, and into my tummy.
.

If you like banana bread (I know it is a favourite of mine that I have tested several recipes for) then you will love this cake. With a twist, it is full of extra goodies from oatmeal oats to chocolate chunks and shavings that mmm melt in and all throughout this treat. To gain an idea of how good it is, the owner's elderly mother called over to me as I was cutting the cake into squares, while she sat grinding what she had dried of the summer's Italian herbs, "can I have the ends". She then proceeded to eat all of the edges that I removed from the cake and for some reason her facial expression did not lead me to believe this was just because she refuses to throw anything away. A sample was also enjoyed by several customers who were in the store at the time, other workers, and of course myself.

The recipe was obviously copied and taken home with me, and the cake is likely to appear into my coffee breaks this week. If you are feeling a little envious right now, I am sure it can make an appearance with you as well - in your kitchen, breakfast nook, lunch bag, hidden in your apron at work (guilty), pocket during class (may be guilty of this week) - oh, it is just so good and I would be more than happy for you to experience it too!

The Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
(I recommend sifting the dry ingredients listed above)

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips, or cut up a chunk of chocolate

1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (1 tbsp vinegar, fill with milk to 1/2 cup)
1 cup ripe bananas, mashed

Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13X9 inch pan. In a large bowl combine your butter, eggs, buttermilk, and bananas. Blend well. Stir in the rest of your dry ingredients. Spread the batter over your greased pan.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Slice up your cake, pour a cup of coffee, and you are all set,

Haley

No comments: