Friday, October 19, 2007

Chinese Coleslaw

It has been said that the Chinese invented pasta. Although I do enjoy a variety of Chinese food, when it comes to pasta, I will have to stick by my fellow Italians who I believe perfected it. So then why am I even making reference to Chinese Cuisine? Well, because there are many other "Chinese inspired" recipes that ought to be noted, aside from simply their noodles. One I get very excited about, which I am not sure whether or not it is an adaptation of a Chinese recipe, is however "Chinese coleslaw". This probably cannot be found at your favourite Chinese restaurant so you will be very interested in following up with this recipe.

Do you do potlucks?
If you have ever been to a potluck party, or are ever looking for a potluck idea, this is one of my favourites. Every Christmas holiday I attend an "Annual Cousins' Christmas Party" where every one of the 25+ cousins brings a favourite dish. And, right between the pastas, antipastos, and four competing homemade pizza recipes (one handed down from each of the four aunts) you will find this Chinese coleslaw that somehow made its way into this rather Italian smorgasbord. And no, it is not me who brings it into a cousin's Italian home, but let me tell you, I have found a way to bring it back to mine by way of the recipe. Since we have had the recipe, my sister - who is a nurse - uses it from time to time when her floor at the hospital has their monthly or so potluck!

What does it taste like?
From the ingredients you can probably gain a feel for its flavours. Note: It does take on a sweeter taste, like most Asian/oriental salads do. Just remember, its a potluck favourite so the majority of a crowd will love it!

The Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cabbage, sliced (or 1 bag of coleslaw mix)
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup slivered almonds (or flat)
2 packages of beef ramin noodles (oriental or Mr.Noodles)
green onions

Dressing:
1 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
seasoning packets from your noodles

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Combine the dressing ingredients and pour over your coleslaw mix. Refrigerate, which will allow your coleslaw to absorb the flavour.

Final tip: Try toasting your almonds (on a baking sheet) in the oven before adding them to your coleslaw,

Haley

No comments: